Friday, March 31, 2006

samurai photographer's hit parade

Being a darkroom warrior can be a lonely pursuit, but then again, isn't being lonely sort of a requirement to being an "artist"? I'm not entirely sure. In any case, when I settle in for a long day in the safelights and fixer fumes, I make sure I have plenty of rock around. These records are too good not to share with y'all:

STNNNG are from Minneapolis, and their most recent record is called Dignified Sissy. When I listen to this I feel like jumping around like a little kid in a bouncy castle, making "rock faces" and silly stuff like that. I hear bits of The Fall, PIL, Bastro, Captain Beefheart, and US Maple - but even if you have no idea who some (or all) of those bands are, you should check them out. Especially if you live in NYC, because I really, REALLY want them to play here and I am too cheap to go to Minneapolis to see them. Maybe they could do a double bill with...

Sicbay, who are also from Minneapolis. What is it with Mpls lately? Is it 1985 again? I don't think I can fit into those clothes any longer...I digress. Sicbay remind me a lot of Dazzling Killmen, a band I loved dearly. Not surprising, since main Sicbay guy is Nick Sakes, who was in the Killmen. Kinda angular, very tight. Suspicious Icons is their newest, I think.

Shallow is the name of the Pissed Jeans record, and I dunno much about them except that they RAWK.

The Gris Gris have two amazing and interesting records out, both of which get frequent play in the darkroom. They're playing NYC April 14th and 15th, but I think that's Passover. Whenever I choose Rock over a Jewish holiday, bad things happen, so I might not be able to witness the spectacle firsthand.

There's a lot of monkey/chimp/simian bands out there, but my favorite of late is Part Chimp from the UK. I have Chart Pimp and I Am Come and they sound at times like the Melvins playing My Bloody Valentine covers. Which is pretty much Samurai Photog's Dream Come True. They just played NYC but I missed them, dammit.

I listen to non-heavy stuff too, but it's harder to do the hair-whip to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home