Thursday, June 01, 2006

samurai photographer and the approaching storm

I set up a minidisc recorder in my kitchen window earlier today to capture the truly annoying sounds of my super sawing through sheet metal, but as the day progressed and my toes and knees started to swell up, I knew that what I really wanted to make a recording of was the thunderstorms that were approaching the New York area.

They aren't the first of the season, but the humidity and heat of the past few days guaranteed that they would be some pretty violent ones.

Shortly after dinner, I flipped on the weather channel and saw they were right on top of the city, so I hit REC and waited.

I didn't have to wait long, about three minutes later I started hearing some low rumbling off in the distance. Since I live near both an airport and a power plant, I always believe that the electrical disturbances here are just a tad more violent. I'm not sure if that is fact, but I do know I have seen lightning forks hit stuff at ConEd.

When I first moved here, almost 10 years ago now, I went up to the roof once to watch a storm roll in. In hindsight, it was pretty dumb, but it was exhilarating to watch the darkness encroach on my neighborhood, the sky flickering like someone was turning on a fluorescent light 5 miles in the air.

My kitchen window is in the seemingly perfect spot to capture the harmonic overtones of both the pealing thunder and the falling rain, and, occasionally, the screaming of the little girl downstairs when lighting strikes close by.

I always find it easier to fall asleep when there's a storm. I don't know if it is the white and pink noise the rain makes, or if it is the slow decline of the humidity in the air afterwards. Perhaps that will be a future use of this recording - to help me sleep when stress and worry have made it difficult to relax.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home