Saturday, April 28, 2007

samurai photographer advances herself.

6 million years ago today,
A message was seen travelling through space -
Transcending time,
Moving faster than the speed of light,
Breaking the sound barrier,
This message was known as the Future Language
And we are here to deliver this message to you… now...
LONG LIVE HEAVY METAL!!!

So begins the album Future Language, a record released in 1981 by Von LMO.

I am unsure how this record came to be in my collection, but rest assured, it belongs there. I like to think it materialized there from the black light dimension. Earlier today, someone sent me a digital version of it and I listened to it at work. As I listened, I realized that I need to resurrect Crackpot Idea #296: a Von LMO cover band.

(As an aside: listening to this album at work elicited some of the strangest reactions to my music to date. Even Jandek doesn't faze most of the people who come to the window on the weekend, but for some reason this record made several people comment.)

I saw Von LMO at the Cooler, ages and ages ago. To this day, it remains one of the strangest shows I have ever seen. Von LMO is both a band and a guy; Von LMO the guy is (supposedly) Frankie Cavallo, and when I saw the band they seemed to be a bunch of guys dressed like cholos. Von LMO vocalized, ran around the stage, played a fake white Stratocaster, talked about time and space, freaked out the "normals", and at the end of the set he smashed his guitar and the ones his band were playing. It was incredible.

Along with a bizarre stage presence, there is an even more bizarre backstory and history. Instead of me trying to explain it, you should just read this to get an idea of the madness from a guy who was actually there to witness it in the 70's/80's. I am led to believe that the 1994 version of Von LMO was a much, much tamer one.

How does one describe the music of Von LMO? Ummm...it's sort of like the sax manic-ness of James Chance crossed with a band like the Dictators, with weird phase effects like, I dunno, Hawkwind? Maybe? The word "skronk" definitely applies here, as well as "insane", "noisy", and "echoey." These guys have a sampling so you can listen/judge for yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home