Tuesday, August 12, 2008

samurai photographer vs a crimson grail, pt. 1

Today's the first rehearsal for A Crimson Grail, and as is the custom, I'm freaking out.

It happens every time I do one of these massive public things. It's part of the process, and part of me likes it. Being nervous before rehearsal is how I get it out of my system, which is good, but it makes it a chore to be around me for a few days. I know as soon as I sit down in my section tonight all the nervousness will dissipate and I can concentrate on the task at hand.

Unfortunately for me, the task at hand is tremolo picking. I never play with a pick, even though I have tried many times. I just don't like it. Even with Glenn, I started out picking and eventually just used the ball of my thumb to strum the strings (something that would amaze my sectionmates who noticed, because it's pretty rough.) This time, though, I am determined to do it the "correct" way. So over the past week I have been practicing a) holding a plectrum correctly and b) the tremolo picking technique as employed by Rhys (and Glenn as well.) Downstrokes are the easy part. It's the upstrokes that are killing me.

KW gave me some helpful advice which seems to be working, and PW told me that when he ues a pick, his index finger hits the string first, so he's got this freaky concave fingernail. Awesome.

By coincidence, MM has the same part as I do (as he has for all the Brancas) so once again I get to lean on him for help.

I'm ready.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home